Lyman School30 Gove Street, East Boston, MA

Residential: 45 Units of Frail Elderly & Disabled Housing
Commercial: East Boston Neighborhood Health Center Administration Offices
Owner: LYMAN SCHOOL HOUSING COMMITTEE
Financing: HUD Section 202
Property Management: Metro Management Company

The Lyman School is a smoke free building.

The Lyman School Apartments project renovated a former school building to create 45 units of housing for the frail elderly and disabled.  East Boston Health Center runs a program and related services to the residents and occupies space for some administration offices.

Development Cost: $2.2 Million

The property includes 45 units of  HUD 202 frail elderly housing and one commercial space in a five story mid-rise building. The cost of this project was approximately $2.2 million.

EBCDC co-sponsored this HUD Section 202 projects in collaboration with the East Boston Neighborhood Health Center.

EAST BOSTON NEIGHBORHOOD HEALTH CENTER

The East Boston Neighborhood Health Center provides a wide range of health services to their participants only. They range from full adult day care, rehabilitation to housekeeping.

History

The Lyman School opened in 1837. One of the first schools built in East Boston, it was a pre-vocational school (offering what was called “domestic science” courses) for girls. It also held evening vocational classes for immigrants. This was the original location of the first East Boston Branch library, before its permanent building was constructed on Meridian Street.

Established in 1869, the East Boston Branch of the Boston Public Library was the first municipally supported branch library in the United States. The branch was dedicated on March 22, 1871, in the old Lyman School.

East Boston High School was organized in 1878 as a branch of The English and Girls’ High Schools. It occupied two rooms in the old Lyman School Building, which stood on the corner of Paris and Meridian Streets. Mr. J. O. Norris was the Acting Principal. The registration of the first year was 55 pupils.